lørdag 10. februar 2018

An identity of passion

When I am using my mother tongue and want to ask a person what his passion is, I will ask: “What are you on fire for?” - I like that phrase. We are different personalities, however, you do not need to be an extrovert to be on fire for something. I know typical introverts who are very passionate in their fields of interest.

Last week I focused on the “tongues of fire” that came upon the disciples on the Day of Pentecost. If people have to move in the same direction towards a common goal they need to be able to communicate in a common language. The confusion of Babel is an example of what can happen when people do not understand one another (1). On the Day of Pentecost people received a tongue that surpasses the languages of Babel – all of a sudden they could understand. It was a unifying language of fire, of passion that opened insight into divine truths.

When I read about William Booth, I see a very passionate man. If I could have asked him what his passion was, I am sure he would have answered something like “The world for God!” or just “Souls!”. I am also convinced that this passion kept him moving towards that goal for the whole of his life. What I am on fire for will help me keep the momentum, keep me moving towards the goal.

Therefore, it is important for me to frequently check the ‘temperature’ of the fire in my life.

In the wilderness, the Israelites for a long period almost forgot that they were on the move towards a goal. And by the mount Horeb they had camped for so long that God had to recharge them again:

“You have stayed long enough at this mountain. Break camp and advance…”
Deuteronomy 1:6-7
Also the first disciples needed frequent refilling of The holy spirit to keep the fire burning (2) and move to with the Spirit. If they needed that, I need it too, because I need passion, I need the fire.

‘Manna’ for today:

I need fire to be on fire
--------------------------------
(1) Genesis 11:1-9
(2) Acts 4:31

Ingen kommentarer: